Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> If someone wants to play with such ideas there's Perl 5.7 which has a
> new mergesort as the incore sorting algorithm, while Perl 5.6 and before
> used quicksort.

I'm triggering on the word "incore" there...
I seem to recall someone suggested on perl6-language a while back*
(or was it perl6-internals?) that perl ought also to support efficient
sorting of large volumes of data by using disk, the way unix sort does.
Pluggable algorithms would make this possible too.
Although, I suppose you'd actually like to make it possible for perl
intrinsics to use disk buffers whenever necessary, globally.

(*If the mail archives were searchable, I'd give an actual reference.)

--
John Porter

What would Gabrielle do?