"Branden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Well, mandatory locking is something we should definetly NOT have in Perl6.
> Most of perl's code today is not threaded, and I believe much of it will
> continue to be this way. The pseudo-fork thread behaviour that is being
> proposed also makes this ok. Even if you have threads, you have to say
> explicitly if you want anythinig to be shared. And if you explicitly
> share something, then you should care the locks by yourself.

Call me lazy, but in my ideal world, if I had some code with multiple
iterpreter threads that happened to share some perl variables, then I'd
like Perl to take care of any locking needed ensure those variables
are assessed in a thread-safe way. IE I let the Perl developers do all
the hard locking code behind the scenes, and I don't have to worry my pretty
little head about it.
Now, there may be practical reasons why it isnt possible for perl to do
this for me automatically (reasons, anyone?), but it's a nice
ideal.

Just MHO ;-)

Dave M.