At 01:59 PM 2/12/2001 -0700, Tony Olekshy wrote:
>Dan Sugalski wrote:
> >
> > I do wish people would get garbage collection and finalization split in
> > their minds. They are two separate things which can, and will, be dealt
> > with separately.
> >
> > For the record:
> >
> > THE GARBAGE COLLECTOR WILL HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FINALIZATION, AND
> > NO PERL OBJECT CODE WILL BE CALLED FOR VARIABLES UNDERGOING GARBAGE
> > COLLECTION.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
>Thank *you* Dan.  I was beginning to wonder if anyone understood.
>
>For the record now, GC is none of your business, you're not
>allowed to know how it works (it's a "black box").  Finalization
>is handled by try {} finally {}.  Finally.  Finalization.  Get it?

Apparently not, since I wasn't talking about try{}/finally{} stuff. I was
talking about DESTROY (or its equivalent) for objects, which unfortunately
can't be tied to any one particular place in the code. (Well, besides the
DESTROY block itself, but that's not what I'm talking about)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk