> >Did it buy you much? I don't believe so. Can you give some examples why
> >random character access is so important? Most people are processing text
> >linearly.
>
> Most, but not all. And as this is the internals list, we have to deal with
> all. We can't choose a convenient subset and ignore the rest. (No matter
> how much I might like to...)

I believe that a larger subset of people will be more happy with UTF-8
than UTF-32. The UTF-32 is not panacea either. We have to make trade
off. Unless we choose to use multi string encodings, I vote for UTF-8.

> >I have been working with Java for many years. I found that Unicode is the
> >best excuse people are using for i18n and l10n. English speaking
developers,
> >including me, want to keep their simple mind of english text process, so
we
> >don't have to the real hard work.
>
> Okay, this paragraph made no sense to me, but it feels like it's saying
> something that's important. Could you try again?

Based on my previous experience with i18n and l10n, I believe UTF-32 will
not help you much, if any. It just misleads people believe the Unicode
processing is simple.

Hong