Dan Sugalski wrote:
> It wouldn't be all that tough to change this if you were so inclined--it'd
> certainly be a simpler parser modification than some others that have been
> proposed.

Yes, I hadn't thought of that.  Yay again.

> (The requirement to predeclare all variables would come into play)

Absolutely.

> You'd lose easy interpolation of variables into strings, though)

That would become the sole use for the funky chars.
And since the type of each var is known, you'd only need one
funky char. In effect, its semantics would change to purely
one of forcing the recognition of an identifier where otherwise
a string literal would be understood.

        my @things; # declare that things is an array

        print "things are $things";
        # second occurrence of "things" here is taken as a variable name.
        # its type -- array -- is already known.

--
John Porter