# New Ticket Created by  Claudio
# Please include the string:  [perl #128983]

Hi,

I having a go at adding syntax checking support to vim using the syntastic
plugin (https://github.com/scrooloose/syntastic). My plugin, syntastic-perl6
(https://github.com/nxadm/syntastic-perl6), adds Perl 6 support and so far it
seems to work.

Syntastic upstream accepted my PR adding support to Perl 6 (so regular users
would get Perl 6 support out of the box), but the changes live for now in a
test branch. I agree with upstream that error parsing for languages that don't
spit out structured data is fragile (Perl 6 is not alone) and thus needs tesing.

And the error parsing is fragile indeed (e.g. ignoring new types of errors) as
it's based on vimscript regular expressions of the rather irregular "perl6 -c"
error output.

As jnthn suggested on irc, maybe an additional JSON error output would be great
solution for this. This would make error parsing for external tooling very easy
and stable. And good tooling is one of the things that Perl 6 needs at the
moment.

So, consider this as a  post-it note in case you run out of bugs. I am looking
now at the rakudo internals, but I doubt I know it enough to implement it
myself.

Regards,

C. (El_Che)