On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 09:51:53AM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> > And btw . . .  Wouldn't
> >
> >     $thing has property
> >
> > make more sense than
> >
> >     $thing is property
>
> "$foo has true" doesn't flow as well as "$foo is true".  Dunno quite
> what the other expected uses are.

Veracity is the ability to be true.  Veracity is the property of
truthfulness?  $thing has veracity.  $thing's veracity is true.

An object environment I prototyped a few years ago used something
similar.  There were five levels of objects:

Level 0 object:

  object (the fundamental building block of the universe)

Level 1 objects:

  aspect (a reusable property for templates) is an object
  template (an intangible, ideal object) is an object

Aspects (level 2):

  clothing (the ability to be worn) is an aspect
  containable (the ability to be somewhere) is an aspect
  container (the ability to contain things) is an aspect
  lidded (the ability to be sealed) is an aspect
  owner (the ability to own something) is an aspect
  posession (the ability to be owned) is an aspect
  session (the ability to service connections) is an aspect
  shell (the ability to parse commands) is an aspect
  tcpd (the ability to accept tcp socket connections) is an aspect

  etc.

Templates (level 3):

  actor (a base class for players) is a template with container,
  containable, session and shell properties.

  container (an ideal tangible container) is a template having
  container properties.

  lidded container (an ideal sealable container) is a template having
  container and lidded properties.

  login daemon (something which answers remote connections and
  authenticates identities) is a template having tcpd properties.

  thing (an ideal tangible object) is a template with containable and
  posession properties.

  etc.

Real tangible objects (level 4):

  the login server is a login daemon
  rocco is an actor
  rocco's backpack is a lidded container
  schwern is an actor
  schwern's pants are clothing
  schwern's fish is a thing

  etc.

Hmm... perhaps I should include magic clothing: a template with
clothing, container and lidded properties.

-- Rocco Caputo / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / poe.perl.org / poe.sourceforge.net