On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Nicholas Clark <n...@ccl4.org> wrote:

> OK, this is a bit of guessing, and I would like to think that I've guessed
> wrongly because someone else *should* have hit this before...

You'd be surprised. Verifying randomness is fairly tricky... and Perl 3
went through this on a bunch of platforms where the random bits needed to
be tuned per platform (before there was any sort of standardization between
unixlikes, not to mention Windows, VMS, ...). Nobody noticed for several
years that the randbits were wrong on various platforms --- and not all of
those platforms were obscure.

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net