On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 05:23:01PM +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:20:13AM -0700, Peter Scott wrote:
> > So, I wonder aloud, do we want to signify that degree of change with a more
> > dramatic change in the name?  Still Perl, but maybe Perl 7, Perl 10, Perl
> > 2001, Perl NG, Perl* - heck, I don't know, I'm just trying to get the
> > creative juices flowing.
>
> As a data point, Python are currently in the middle of a Perl 6 style
> redesign, and are calling the result Python 3000. Maybe if we called it
> Perl 3000, we might be able to get a beta out by then.

My understanding of Python 3000 (from some of the Python folks at ActiveState)
is that Py3K isn't a "next major version", but rather a gedanken experiment
of some far off future version of Python where everything magically fits.
It's like the Rocky Mountains, as seen from Iowa.  :-)

The Python folk are working to improve their language, primarily with
the current source base; 2.x isn't a rewrite, but 1.5.x with some nifty
new linguistic features added in (I think that's when list comprehensions
entered into the language (er, map {} LIST)).  And, then there are the
multiple parallel reimplementations of the Python 2.x language: jython
and stackless python (among others, surely).

Perl6, OTOH, has always been conceived as an effort to first find out
everything that's possibly broken with Perl5, and take one last shot
to fix it as our next big development project.  Like the Rocky Mountains
as seen from Colorado.  :-)

Z.