On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net>
wrote:

> On 2017-12-11 12:22 PM, Sean McAfee wrote:
>
>> Well, not really.  I don't think x %% 0 should return a Failure at all.
>>
>> 1 / 0 is an expression which can evaluate to no sensible value, so it
>> makes
>> sense to fail there.  By the question "Is one divisible by zero?" has the
>> simple
>> answer "No."
>>

> I strongly disagree with you.
>
> First of all, the reason there is no sensible value is that the answer is
> BOTH "yes" and "no" at the same time, so you can't choose one.  Zero DOES
> divide evenly into anything, and typically does so an infinite number of
> times.

I strongly disagree that the answer to "Is 1 divisible by 0?" can be "yes"
in any meaningful, commonly-understood sense.  There is no number which one
can multiply by zero and get one, even an "infinite number," whatever that
means.  The inputs to and output from the remainder operation are natural
numbers, or perhaps integers, and all natural numbers and integers are
finite.