I should clarify this, but I'm not recalling full details at the moment
which is why I didn't originally.

Perl uses a metaobject protocol (MOP, which you'll see in various places in
the docs). The "macro" to access the metaobject is the .HOW pseudo-method.
If you do this for a normal class or object of that class, you get
Perl6::Metamodel::ClassHOW back. This is what the .^method syntax is
accessing; it's short for (thing).HOW.method((thing), ...). The metaclass
doesn't magically know its children, so the object has to be used once to
get at its metaclass and a second time to tell the metaclass what it is to
introspect.

I'm not seeing documentation for what .WHAT actually does; it (correctly)
notes that it's implemented specially within the compiler (hence "macro")
but not how you achieve it otherwise. Then again, .HOW has the same issue;
there's a bit of a bootstrapping issue with getting at the metamodel, you
need to have it first. Which is why it's wired into the compiler and gets
those uppercase pseudo-method names.