The MAIN sub executes after the mainline.

After all should MAIN be called before or after do-it('2') in the following?

    sub do-it(Str $string) {
        say $string;
    }
    do-it("1");
    multi sub MAIN() {
        say "This is MAIN so this should print after the mainline";
    }
    do-it("2");
    multi sub MAIN( $ ) {
        say "This is MAIN so this should print after the mainline";
    }

    # implicitly something like this happens at the end of the file
    MAIN( |@*ARGS );

The only other possibility is that the entire mainline gets run after
MAIN, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
(As in it wouldn't make sense to even have a mainline.)

There is no way to mix the mainline and running MAIN without making it
special case.
One goal of the design of Perl 6 is to reduce special cases.

Running a something like a MAIN subroutine at the end of the file is
actually somewhat common to do in Perl 5.
So there is some precedent for the way it works.