On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I will look into this further when I am less tired.
> >

> >> The examples are excellent.
> >>

> > Thank you.
> >
> > I remember worrying that it was so much longer than the rest of the
> > languages. (It's at least twice as long as the rest).
> >
> >> Coming from Modula2 and Pasca, one of the issues I had to content
> >> with when I picked started coding in Perl 5 was that in Modula2
> >> a variable is just a spot in memory with a designated length.
> >> A new variable contains whatever junk was in that memory location
> >> when you started your program.  You very quickly learn to pre-salt
> >> all your variables or you get caught in uninitialized variable hell.
> >>
> >> In Perl, variables are structures.  There is a bunch of house keeping
> >> involved.  The "my" declaration triggers this house keeping including
> >> where it is and all the rules to access it.  The variable is pre-salted"
> >> (null) very much so.  Perl is a ton easier to program in than Modula2.
> >>
> >> Chuckle, the Perl 5 guy never did forgive me for calling Reference
> >> Pointers "pointers".  I constantly had to remind them
> >> that there were different kinds of pointers than those found
> >> in "C", which only points to a spot in memory.  Perl's pointers
> >> point to the variables structure or "reference" and all the
> >> associated rules.
> >
> > I think calling them pointers or references might bring along baggage
> > from other languages that doesn't apply.
> >
> > That said, I have (almost) never programmed in a language that
> > directly deals with memory like that.
> >
> > I know how it works (basically), I've just never done it.
> >
> > I will note that in the first sentence where you used the word "content"
> > you actually meant "contend".
> > (It didn't "sound" right when I read it)
> >

> >> HTH,
> >> -T
> >>
> >> They also got huffy with me calling hashes "associative arrays",
> >> which they are.  When I quoted them Larry's reasoning on the
> >> subject (hash is easier to write), they shut up.  But I
> >> could tell it still rankled.
> >>
> >> I don't know why they were so huffy.  "Associative Array"
> >> help me wrap my mind around what exactly my favorite variable
> >> was.
> >
> > It doesn't bother me what you call them.
> >
> > That said if you seem new to Perl I would probably mention
> > that we call them hashes.
> > If for no other reason than it makes it easier to find information
> > about them.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > Hopefully I can make changes that will make it easier for you
> > to understand.
> >
> > I plan on sending you an email as soon as I am done with
> > the rewrites.
> > Feel free to remind me if I don't get to it soon.
> >

> Hi Brad,
>
> Technical writing does not get the appreciation it deserves.
> There is both talent and hard work involved!
>
> When I said "yet", I presumed the a variable can be

That is only true if you don't add :U

If you do add it, then assigning a defined value produces an error

> And that the receiving method only cares what you feed it
> at the time it is called.
>
> Thank you for appreciating my input.  Since I am so new to Perl 6,
> I will trip across things a lot.
>
> I have found with myself that after I know what is suppose to
> be there, I often see what I think I see -- what is suppose
> to be there -- and not what is actually there.  You have
> probably seen this with all the typos I make.  And I
> do proof read what I write.  So I am perfect for this.
> And as I tell my wife "Sometimes it pays to be an idiot."

I think that it is because of how you read.

The way your brain figures out what is written, is slow.

To compensate your brain often guesses instead.

Which is faster, but sometimes wrong.

I think that my visual, auditory, and language parts
of my brain have a lot of connections.
So it is very easy for me to notice misspellings, or incorrect words.

Actually I think there are links to other parts of my brain
because some words and numbers have a "personality".

There are even some pots that I use which have a "personality".