On Tuesday, September 25, Todd Chester wrote:
> Not to ask too obvious a question, but why does words use a []
> instead of a () ?
> I am confused as to when to use [] and when to use () with a method.

If a method is called without arguments, the () can be omitted.

   "a man a plan a canal -- panama".words()
   "a man a plan a canal -- panama".words    # <-- same thing

[] acts on the return value -- it takes an element of a list

   "a man a plan a canal -- panama".words()[3]
   "a man a plan a canal -- panama".words[3]  # <-- same thing

Brian