For one it has the following line:

    use lib 'lib';

That is going to slow everything down if you have anything in the
`lib` directory.
The more things in that directory, the slower it will get.

You should really install the modules with `zef`. (It can download and
install the modules itself.)

Also it isn't until the very last line of that program that anything
visible happens.

Basically it has a lot of work to do before it can make itself visible.