On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 03:51:11PM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Tue 29 May 2001 19:25, Dave Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > =head2 Portability
> >
> > Related to extensibility is portability. Perl runs on many, many
> > platforms, and will no doubt be ported to ever more bizarre and obscure
> > ones over time.  You should never assume an operating system, processor
> > architecture, endian-ness, word size, or whatever. In particular, don't
> > fall into the any of the following common traps:
> >
> > TBC ... Any suggestions welcome !!!
>
> + gcc vs. native compilers
> + builtin's vs. functions
> + system updates on include files once (long ago) `repaired' by the gcc
>   installation
> + what gcc allows isn't always accepted by other compilers (e.g. functions
>   within functions)

Yes.  However nice the GNU C extensions are, the whole world is not
GNU C.  One is welcome to use the GNU C extensions if they help in
debugging or whatnot but they must be carefully hidden with cpp
so that they do not affect non-GNU-C builds.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen