> On 9 Dec 2019, at 15:26, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users <perl6-us...@perl.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 2019-12-09 03:47, Elizabeth Mattijsen wrote:
>>> On 9 Dec 2019, at 10:32, ToddAndMargo via perl6-users
>>> <perl6-us...@perl.org> wrote:
>>> Spoken by a true guard dog!  :-)
>> Not funny at all.  I'm very close to put you in my *plonk* category.
>
> For some odd reason, some folks thought I was calling
> him an actual dog (canine).  Would you have been
> similarly offended if I had called him a "gatekeeper"?

If you call someone a dog, it is most likely you intended the "an unpleasant,
contemptible, or wicked man" meaning.  Check your dictionary:

dog | dɒɡ |
noun
1 a domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute
sense of smell, non-retractable claws, and a barking, howling, or whining
voice.
Canis familiaris, family Canidae (the dog family); probably domesticated from
the wolf in the Mesolithic period. The dog family also includes the wolves,
coyotes, jackals, and foxes.
• a wild animal of the dog family.
• the male of an animal of the dog family, or of some other mammals such as the
otter: [as modifier] :  a dog fox.
• (the dogs) British informal greyhound racing: a night at the dogs.
2 informal an unpleasant, contemptible, or wicked man: he wasinterrupted by
cries of ‘dirty dog!’ | come out, Michael, you dog!
• [with adjective] dated used to refer to a person of a specified kind in a
tone of playful reproof, commiseration, or congratulation: your historian is a
dull dog | you lucky dog!
• used to refer to someone who is abject or miserable, especially because they
have been treated harshly: I make him work like a dog| Rab was treated like a
dog.
• informal, offensive an unattractive woman.
• Australian/NZ informal an informer or traitor: one day she's going to turn
dog on you.
• informal, chiefly North American a thing of poor quality: a dog of afilm.
• informal a horse that is slow or difficult to handle.
3 used in names of dogfishes, e.g. sandy dog, spur-dog.
4 a mechanical device for gripping.
5 (dogs) North American informal feet.
6 (dogs) Horse Racing, US barriers used to keep horses off a particular part of
the track.

> Is English your first language?

No, is it yours?