Reviving this thread...

Synopsis: the previous discussion revolved around an error seen with a
whatever-star of the format  "{ * }"  (with spaces around the star). The
error was corrected by removing the spaces to use the whatever-star
"{*}"   format.

So why then does the Raku NativeLibs module say to use the "{ * }" format?
See:

https://github.com/salortiz/NativeLibs

>From the ReadMe.md:

use NativeLibs; # This also re-exports NativeCall :DEFAULTS for
conveniencemy $Lib; # To keep the reference
sub some_native_func() is native { * } # Note no library needed
… The rest of your module
INIT {
    # Load the needed library
    without $Lib = NativeLibs::Loader.load('libsomelib.so.4') {
        .fail;
    }
}
…

It seems that some of these tiny differences--such adding a space or
two--could end up being a very off-putting source of frustration for people
who are just starting out (and even for experienced programmers as well).

Best, Bill.

W. Michels, Ph.D.