I accidentally sent this privately.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Ralph Mellor <ralphdjmel...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: The ,= operator
To: William Michels <w...@caa.columbia.edu>

> I can reproduce your results on Rakudo_2020.10, but I'm afraid I don't
> have much more to say about the ",=" operator since I'm unfamiliar
> with it.

It's working as it should.

It *might* be possible to improve the display.

----

`a ,= b` is just shorthand for `a = a , b`.

This same pattern is used for any `a op= b`.

So `a += b` is the same as `a = a + b`.

So `@r ,= 'd'` is the same as `@r = @r, 'd'`.

Which makes @r a self-referential infinitely recursive data structure.

How does one display it?

I can imagine an argument that it would be better if the *gist*
(as against the `dd`) switched from:

@array_123456789

@r

or

@array-that-contains-itself

or

@array-that-contains-itself_1

But I'm not sure if any of those suggestions are *improvements*,
nor whether they are viable / sensible.

----

> Do the "docs" page(s) make more sense changing the phrase
> "class-dependent" behavior to "hash-dependent" behavior?

The "class dependent" behavior is really a red herring.

See my other other reply to Joe for a detailed discussion.