--- Nick Ing-Simmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Benjamin Stuhl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >I don't see where shadow functions are really necessary
> -
> >after all, no one has ever complained that you can't do
> >
> >pp_chomp(sv); /* or pp_add(sv1, sv2), for that matter */
> >
> >in Perl 5.
>
> Yes we did. And note the doop.c file which is part answer
> to the shadows.

True. I had forgotten about those. But what would be the
point of shadowing most of the pp_hot.c functions? Who
would ever _want_ to write 'sv = pp_gvsv(aTHX_ gv);'?

> Given the inner functions we could presumable generate
> the decode
> functions (c.f. xsubpp)

That would probably be the best. Mark whether the body
needs a wrapper or not, and run it through a generator so
pp_chomp or pp_concat are wrapped, but pp_rv2sv isn't. (op
names stolen from Perl 5; who knows what they'll be called
in Parrot). The other issue is list context. It'd probably
be best to simply return a list ref (especially since that
makes returnling lazy lists much easier).

-- BKS