> I wonder how long (less than a year?) it will be until people are writing
> computer languages that know enough about context to select a parsing that
> Makes Sense when faced with an ambiguous construction.

Not long. My Linguana talk/paper @ TPC treats (in part) a natural language
programming language, taking sense ambiguity into account. Not terribly
sophisticated, and requiring gobs of statistical context data to work. But
it knows whether 'open' directs a file, URL, or network connection. It
wouldn't be (too) difficult to introduce context-dependent treatment of
variables. I doubt anyone is interested in downloading several hundred MB
of disambiguation statistics with a language distribution, however. :-)

Dan