Dan --

I'm wondering if there is something we can refactor so that we don't
have to link interpreter.o into things like like pdump. Pdump doesn't
want to be an interpreter. It doesn't want to run ops. But, passing
the interpreter arg into PackFile_unpack means the caller needs to
have one laying around, and that cascades into having to link a bunch
of otherwise unnecessary stuff into pdump.

It looks like all this is coming from resources.c's new_string_header()
which takes an interpreter pointer (but doesn't use it -- yet). Since
this is used by string_make, string_make needs the interpreter pointer.
Therefore, everything that mucks with strings needs to have an
interpreter pointer to pass in.

I'd like to propose that whater its going to be in the interpreter that
functions in resources.c and elsewhere are going to need for allocation
be passed in directly rather than indirectly via the interpreter. The
interpreter can have a pointer to one, and calls from interpreter code
can pass it in via the interpreter pointer, but other code that doesn't
deal with interpretation won't have to allocate an interpreter just to
get resource management.

Regards,

-- Gregor
/     perl -e 'srand(-2091643526); print chr rand 90 for (0..4)'      \

   Gregor N. Purdy                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax