On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:20:58 +0100
Graham Barr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have always found that the perl output from byacc (with a few tweaks)
> generates a sufficient parser. The addition of a switch statement
> will hopefully make it more efficient.

What you are saying is you are using yacc to make your coding of a parser
convenient. Surely this highlights a deficiency in Perl to be able to
express this sort of program?

One of the biggest problems with picking a particular language to do your
coding in is that certain programming styles suit different languages. For
example, you wouldn't want to do systems programming in Prolog any more
than you would write a complex context free grammar using m// and if().

Surely, we want Perl to be good at writing any sort of program, be it one
that suits a procedural, OO, functional or rule based programming style.
Or other programming styles I don't know about.

What is yacc, but a rule based language plug-in for procedural languages?

Why limit Perl to OO and procedural programming at its core?

Sam.