At 08:52 AM 10/29/2001 -0500, Gregor N. Purdy wrote:
>The first step I'm going to take is to start putting the arg and
>result counts on the stack, and remove the stack rotation stuff.

Leave the rotate opcode, though. That might come in handy for the
Forth/Scheme/Postscript folks, once we have them.

>Hey! We should be thinking about the minimum amount of stuff we need
>to do to support separate compilation so we can implement the
>conventions in more than one of the Parrot-targeted languages and do
>a demo of mixed language programming.

Darned straight. Anyone want to take a shot at a proposed bytecode file
format update?

>Heres a partial list:
>
>   * export table segment in packfile.
>
>     Put the subroutine entry points here.

Yep.

>   * import table segment in packfile (fixup table sufficient for this?)
>
>     Put the unresolved external symbols here.

Dunno if we need this. We can leave symbol resolution to runtime when we
come across them, but we probably ought to have it for those languages that
want full linktime resolution.

>   * possibly unify all this into symbol table segment.

That would be spiffy-keen. :)

>   * linker that takes multiple pbc files and concatenates them, doing
>     relocating to produce a single pbc file.

While I don't think we need this for normal use, it could be quite handy.
(I don't want to require linking before running--loading up module bytecode
at runtime is definitely a requirement)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk