At 11:12 AM 11/4/2001 -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
>Dan Sugalski:
># At 10:36 PM 11/3/2001 -0800, Brent Dax wrote:
># >Well, for now we're using Perl for Configure, but that won't
># be possible
># >in the final version.  Nasty bootsrapping issues with that.  :^)
>#
># You'd be surprised... :)
>#
># Seriously, miniparrot, enough to do simple file ops, spawn external
># programs and check their statuses, and implement all the
># 'internal' stuff
># (regexes and suchlike things) is pretty easily doable. Full and fancy
># Parrot's a bigger task, but I think you'll find that we can provide a
># static config.h/platform.c/platform.h set that'll get things
># built enough
># to run a full probing configure, even on the odder platforms
># (Win32, VMS,
># MVS, and WinCE).
>
>I know.  My guess is that we'd "only" need file I/O, system(),
>backticks, string and numeric operations, stat()ish things (to see if
>this file is older than its dependencies), hashes, Data::Dumper, and a
>kitchen sink.  Not to mention knowledge of how to correctly run various
>programs on every platform we support.

Luckily we can feel free to disappoint people. :)

open, close, write, read, system, and the things that don't require any
off-program support. (We can reasonably assume we won't need any sort of
platform-specific code to iterate through arrays we create ourselves...)
Simon's already done it with perl 5.

We only need this to run configure.pl, at which point we can just go
rebuild ourselves with full support.

># Don't forget that we *also* will have to provide a
># shell-specific base
># build script (DCL for VMS, batch for Windows, JCL (shudder)
># for MVS), so it
># can do platform-specific copying of files for the initial build.
>
>I'm not looking forward to that either.

We have it now, and that's not going to change. If we're careful we can put
perl 6 in a much better position than perl 5 is in this regard.

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk