At 09:46 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, Ken Fox wrote:
>Kevin Huber wrote:
> > This is a comparison of mops running on Parrot (-O6 on an Athlon 700)
> > versus Java JDK 1.4.0 beta 2 jitted and interpreted.  You can see that
> > Parrot performance is very comparable to Java in interpreted mode.
>
>I have an Athlon 700 too. With these compiler flags:
>
>PERL-CFLAGS = -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -s -march=pentium -ffast-math \
>         -fexpensive-optimizations -fno-strict-aliasing \
>         -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>
>I'm seeing 24 mops which puts Parrot even closer to Java. Do those
>flags improve your times?

I really want to see the times when we get computed goto and switch based
cores. Hopefully we can soundly trounce Java when interpreted, and dodge
the slow bits when its JITted. (Since we're unlikely to rally enough
expertise to build a Java-class JIT system for Parrot, unless IBM &
DEC^WCompaq^HP's engineering folks kick in some talent)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk