On Tuesday 13 November 2001 03:57 pm, James Mastros wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this would require hooks into the mem-mngr module, which
> > violates it's black-box nature.  Not to mention the points you make.
>
> I don't really see this as ownerous fiddiling with the memory manager; we
> want to have hooks in to modify the timing of the GC anyway.  All we have
> to do is wrap a refcount around them (and I'm not sure about that; can you
> really be in more then one XS at once?) and call them in the approprate
> places.  That isn't fiddiling with the internals of the memory manager,
> it's timing is defined to be an external (by us).

I don't mean that we won't have API hooks into the mem-manager (sorry, I
worded it poorly), I mean that the more visible the guts of the mem-manager
is, the less likely it can be replaced by a better / more suitable algorithm,
possibly in embedded situations.  Extending mem-mngr data-structures (like
the linked-list) to the definition of a PMC is what I'm worried about; not
exposing a function to say GC-me-more-often. (I appologize for the LISP
mneumonic :)

-Michael