On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> Getting parrot building on Solaris brought up another interesting
> portability issue. Turns out the default GCC switches are inappropriate for
> GCC 2.8.1, which is the default on my Sun box. Works OK with gcc
> 2.95.somethingorother.
>
> How far back with GCC should we support?

[a little bit of guessing here . . . ]

I think your question is actually more generic and will be self-answering
in time.

Configure.pl still grabs most of its defaults from the previous perl5
build. I'll bet you used a pre-built perl5 on your system.  That pre-built
perl5 was apparently not built with the same version of gcc that you have
on your system.  You'd probably run into the same problem trying to build
any perl5 extensions that require a compiler.  You'd also run into the
same problem anytime you had a mismatch between a prebuilt perl5 and the
rest of your system.  Such mismatches are very easy to come by.

Ultimately, Configure.pl ought to, in principle, check everything for
itself.  Once it starts doing more of that, problems such as you ran into
should be automatically handled.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics