----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sugalski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 11:55 PM
Subject: Parrot memory/GC/DOD primer

> 'Kay, here's a quick overview of how memory, garbage collection, and dead
> object detection are going to work in Parrot. (And I appreciate this
> getting raised now, BTW--both because it's about time and because it makes
> me think about it in time for next saturday)
>
> There are three sets of memory pools for each interpreter. They are:
>
> *) The PMC pool
> *) The Buffer header pool
> *) The honking great slab of memory pool
>
> The PMC and buffer pools each consist of one or more arenas, while the
> HGSOM pool has one or more slabs of memory allocated to it.
>
> Each arena is thread-private, and no other interpreter can allocate out of
it.
<snip>
just to make sure I understand: you want to use a mark and sweep collector
on the
PMC, the only special twist being that you don't actually free the PMC but
just mark
them as dead and only free the data they point in the buffer zone. OK.
Question:
    how do you identify the type of stuff pointed to by the PMC's, you said
we could
have a PMC which has a buffer of (pointers to) PMC's, this will need to be
clearly marked for the gc. How do you plan on doing this?
Benoit