--- Andy Dougherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One idiom which might work is
>
>       cd foo && $(MAKE)
>
> Since lines in makefiles are handed off to the native
> shell, this will
> be dependent upon the user's native shell.  I don't know
> any details,
> but I gather the various shells in Win95, Win98, WinNT,
> and WinXP are
> not necessarily identical.  I *think* the above idiom
> works in NT, but
> not Win98.  I'm hopeful it will work in XP.
> (Of course, the user may well have installed a different
> command
> shell, in which case who knows what will happen.)

It should work, IIRC, since XP's shell is the latest
version of cmd.exe, the NT shell.

> If the user is using dmake, but is stuck with Win95(?)'s
> command.com,
> then he or she can still use perl5's win32/genmk95.pl.
> Here are the
> comments from it:
>
> # genmk95.pl - uses miniperl to generate a makefile that
> command.com will
> #              understand given one that cmd.exe will
> understand
>
> # Author: Benjamin K. Stuhl
> # Date: 10-16-1999
>
> # how it works:
> #    dmake supports an alternative form for its recipes,
> called "group
> #    recipes", in which all elements of a recipe are run
> with only one shell.
> #    This program converts the standard dmake makefile.mk
> to one using group
> #    recipes. This is done so that lines using && or ||
> (which command.com
> #    doesn't understand) may be split into two lines that
> will still be run
> #    with one shell.
>
> We would need permission from the author to include the
> script itself in
> parrot.

Consider permission granted, but I probably won't get
around to rigging it up to work with parrot myself. (I
finally got a newer system with Win2k, so I don't need to
arm-wrestle command.com anymore, woohoo!)

Of course, this idiom won't AFAIK work on VMS, but that
shouldn't surprise anyone.

-- BKS