At 11:10 PM 1/3/2002 -0500, Bryan C. Warnock wrote:
>The other obvious answer is that we don't, because it's just to difficult,
>if not impossible, to do, and do well.  So is it worth the effort to pursue?

FWIW, I've heard of at least one product out there that does this, though
at the machine code level. (It'll turn your x86 binaries to Alpha ones, for
example) It's supposed to do some optimizations as it goes, and there were
reports of x86->other->x86 translations ending up with code that was faster
than the original.

Still, Brian's original point was well taken--there's a lot more to a
machine than just its CPU. The hardware and OS are darned important too,
and much tougher to emulate. (Not that I'd mind someone whipping up an
Atari 800 emulator--I'd have to dig out the old M.U.L.E. and Archon disks....)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk