> GCC plays the role of both compiler and linker. (Well, it compiles and
> invokes ld under the hood, but it's all in one step) It can definitely
> handle linker flags.

CL.exe does this, too. I just found out that you can specify link options if
you include them after a /link option at the end of the command.

If it works for GCC to have link options appear after the filename (I'd try
it but I don't have cygwin installed here at work) then the attached patch
might work without having to override anything. (It works for me.)

Jason.