On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 12:11:06AM +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> Complement of an inversion list is neat: insert 0 at the beginning
> (and append max+1), unless there already is one, in which case delete
> the 0 (and shift the list and delete the max+1).  Again, O(N).
> (One could of course have a bit for a 'negative character class',
> but that would in turn complicate the computations.)

If we have hybrid notation, we'll be stuck with not only a bit for
that, but also a complete expression tree for character classes.
(Which is necessary if we use a Unicode library that only exposes
property test functions, not numeric ranges.)

We *do* want to have (with some notation)
[[:digit:]\p{FunkyLooking}aeiou except 7], right?