Hi,

This is already handled in Perl 5 - which I guess will have
an influence on Perl 6.  I doubt Larry is going to force
everyone to quote the hash subscripts (are you Larry? :)

Let a newish (6 < now < 12 months) non professional
(unemployed student ;) Perl programmer, like myself, look
at how he'd expect things to be handled - and what actually
happens.

Hence, I'm going through this twice... once BEFORE testing
my expectations in Perl, and once AFTER.

>     $foo{shift} vs. $foo{"shift"}

Hmm... I think 'shift' would be taken as the key, not the
function in both cases.

ANS: I was correct

>     $foo{bar} vs. sub bar() { ... } $foo{bar}

As previous.

>               vs. $foo{+bar}

I think the + would cause it to fail... since it looks a
little like it is part of a sum.

ANS:

The + forces it to an EXPR, meaning that bar is treated as
a function call.  However - this action still makes sense
to me, since + is used to force scalar context in some
places.

>               vs. $foo{bar()}

Now, this would call bar().

ANS: I was correct.

>               vs. $foo{"+bar"}

Easy, it's a key.

>               vs. $foo{"bar()"}

Easy, it's a key.

> and they never cause any problems?

Not usually :)

The rules actually do what I (think) I mean, in almost all
cases.  Only perlTk causes any problems since the named
arguments are prefixed with minus symbols.  In this
instance they need quoting.

Jonathan Paton