On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 04:34:34PM -0500, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> Now's your time to speak up, please.

Ok, you asked for it. I just committed the regular expression
compiler. It has known bugs, but I am completely out of tuits for now,
and have been since about the time I announced this thing's existence.
:-(

I do wonder what you'd replace the rx opcodes with. I don't see any
use for some of the existing opcodes (regex flag setting, zwa_atend,
etc.), but doing things like maintaining the backtracking stack using
generic opcodes sounds very slow to me.

The last benchmarking I did on the regex engine (with a single regex,
admittedly) put it at somewhat better than half the speed of perl5's
engine, which isn't too bad. Do you have newer (worse) numbers?

My compiler would be relatively easy to retarget to general opcodes or
another set of regex opcodes, but I am very skeptical that regexen can
be sufficiently fast without some tailored opcodes and a regex state
PMC.