On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:59:35AM -0800, Larry Wall wrote:

> I should update y'all to my current thinking, which is that $_ is
> always identical to the current topic, even if the topic is aliased to
> some other variable. To get at an outer topic, you'd have to use the
> same mechanism we'll use for redeclared lexicals:
>
>     my $foo = $OUTER::foo;
>
>     for @x {                  # aliases $_
>       for @y -> $y {          # aliases both $x and $_
>           print $OUTER::_;
>       }
>     }

I rather like this compromise. It provides the desired behaviour of
"always default to the current topic" and so eliminates the confusion
between C<when> and other defaulting constructs. It also maintains the
"$_ is default" concept, which is quite important to people, as earlier
bits of this thread demonstrated.

Allison