"Michel J Lambert" wrote:

> Below is a patch which allocates the pools from system memory.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to provide any noticeable speed gains. I
> get anywhere from a -1 to 15 extra generations per second. Current results

Even though we copy large amounts of memory around, very little time seems
to be used in the process.

My current test version, with COW strings and a few other tweaks, achieves:
5000 generations in 80.735562 seconds. 61.930578 generations/sec
A total of 32768 bytes were allocated
A total of 117851 DOD runs were made
A total of 333 collection runs were made
Copying a total of 1347808 bytes

compared to a current CVS version of:
5000 generations in 90.813806 seconds. 55.057708 generations/sec
A total of 32768 bytes were allocated
A total of 130932 DOD runs were made
A total of 10930 collection runs were made
Copying a total of 57801936 bytes

so a 97% decrease in the number of collection runs only turns into an 11%
improvement in total performance.

[166MHz Pentium; linux 2.2.18]
--
Peter Gibbs