On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 04:14:01PM -0400, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> Well then, I guess we should dump "elsif" from if too. After all, it
> could all be done with nested blocks of if/else....

But C<elsif> is different. You use it all the time. The frequency with
which you'd need a loop that leads into another loop that leads into a
conditional isn't worthy of special keywords for each combination. It's
like coming up with a catchy word for "that place on the corner of the
sidewalk that dips down for wheel-chairs, bicycles and strollers (er,
prams)". It's not worth it. (Maybe there is such a word, but I don't
remember it because I don't use it.)

> If we're to keep if the same, and add an else to loops, I think the
> syntax should be unified.

There is a time for unification and a time for differentiation. Total
unification would take us back to assembly, "There can be only jumps."
Everything is a balance.

Allison