G'day all.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:59:45PM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:

> [ I'm playing devils advocate for a while longer as I'm not 100% convinced ]

Understood.

> Isn't compiler convienience a (the?) major issue here?

I wouldn't call it a "major issue".  I think of it as a constraint.

The major issue is performance, subject to the constraint that it
should be possible to write a working compiler (possibly generating
inefficient code) without going to a lot of trouble.

> How common do you expect tail calls to be? (Got practical examples?)

In Perl, not common.  When's the last time you used "goto-&NAME"?

In functional languages (e.g. Scheme) and logic languages (e.g.
Prolog), it's usually part of the spec.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage