At 10:58 AM +0200 5/6/02, Peter Gibbs wrote:
>The COWing of substrings requires a major interface change:
>*** All references to the data in a STRING must use the new strstart pointer
>instead of bufstart ***

Actually, we don't. (Sez the man catching up on altogether too much
mail) Since we're putting the COW stuff at the tail end, substrings
of COW strings are fine. You set the bufstart to where the substring
starts, buflen set so it goes to the end of the original buffer, and
the string length bit holds the real string length. That way you
start where you need to, but you can still find the COW marker off
the end of the original buffer.

Yeah, the substring loses the bits of the original string that are
before the substring's beginning,  but I don't think that'll be a
problem.
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk