On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 07:07, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Is this like the PNG file header?

Of course.  I'm not that particularly clever.

>   0xCC is >128, designed to detect if the file has been stripped to 7 bit

Also, having the 8 bit set is often sufficient to trigger binary mode
for primitive FTP auto-detectors.  Putting it up front guarantees that
it will be seen by anything looking for it.

0xCC itself is just an arbitrary number.  Anything would do, although I
wouldn't suggest 0xFF or 0xFE, since that's very UTF-8ish.

>   0xOD 0xOA is CR LF, designed to detect if the file has been ftp'ed in
>   ASCII mode
>   0x1A is ^Z, designed to detect if the file has been truncated by programs
>   that treat ^Z as EOF
> ?

That's the crux of it.  We're just expanding the base of programs we're
borrowing things from.  (When I told Dan awhile ago that I wanted to
borrow a page from the PNG folks, he said, "What?  We're going to have
code with an alpha channel?" :-)

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@(gtemail.net|capita.com)