On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 21:38, root wrote:

> I've always liked how VB allowed you to define "instance methods."
> Basically a more elegant way of doing callbacks, plus allows some
> structure within your callbacks. Will Perl6 allow this (Perl5 sortof did,
> but since the "bless" way of doing things is going away...)
>
> Perhaps...
>
>  class foo {...}
>
>  $x = new foo;        #BTW, is there some standard way of creating instances
>               #now?

my $x is foo; # I think that's correct

>  method $x.frob() {...}

Since these are more for run-time sorts of things than compile-time
sorts of things, perhaps you want that to be a closure. You could have a
autoload check in UNIVERSAL (even in Perl5, not sure how in Perl6) that
would work like so (Perl5 syntax):

    $x = foo->new();
    $x->insmeth 'frob', sub {...}; # name wins 'cause it sounds Lovecraftian
    $x->frob();

So, you can already do this, though I would sit down and think long and
hard about adding an autoload to UNIVERSAL in Perl5. Hopefully
autoloading will be able to chain correctly in Perl6.