I'm sort of side-tracking from the trend of discussions, but I was just
thinking that I always found it annoying how you had to double backslashes
in single-quoted strings.  I like the bash's behavior with regard to this
much better... I mean, the whole idea behind single-quoted strings is that
there are no escape sequences. If someone really needs to put a single
quote in a single-quoted strings, what's wrong with this?:

        'You think I' _ q{'} _ 'm knit-picking!'

The analagous holds for q{} sequences. Furthermore, here documents don't
mimic this behavior:
        print <<'EOT'
Foo\\bar
EOT

Print's precisely Foo\\bar. So are we doing something about this?

Luke