At 02:42 PM 5/28/2002 -0700, George Rhoten wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Hopefully I won't get too burned by flames by jumping into the middle of
>the conversation like this.

Fortunately this list is very low on flammable material. :)

Thanks for the helpful info. One of the concerns with using
an external library is it should be in ANSI C if we were to
include it with Parrot. I think there are so many unanswered and unfinished
issues other than Unicode that noone has had to time to really
define what using ICU would spell, but it appears that including ICU
would spell allowing C++ elsewhere in the project also.

I'm not saying C++ is bad, it would make life easier in some areas,
but I think its a Pandora's box that noone wants to open, ...yet.

We also don't wish to inherit ICU development if ICU becomes unsupported.
However, I agree with your point about collaboration. I rather like the idea
of being able to mail the ICU guys a bug report as I go back to hacking
my Parrot mess.

I'm curious, is it possible to carve out an "ICU-lite" in ANSI-C89?

-Melvin