At 5:47 PM -0700 5/28/02, Hong Zhang wrote:
>  > Okay, i've thought things over a bit. Here's what we're going to do
>>  to deal with infant mortality, exceptions, and suchlike things.
>>
>>  Important given: We can *not* use setjmp/longjmp. Period. Not an
>>  option--not safe with threads. At this point, having considered the
>>  alternatives, I wish it were otherwise but it's not. Too bad for us.
>
>I think this statement is not very accurate. The real problem is
>setjmp/longjmp does not work well inside signal handler.

Actually I'd been given dire warnings from some of the Solaris folks.
"Don't use setjmp with threads!"

I've since gotten details, and it's "Don't use setjmp with threads
and do Stupid Things."

>My basic suggestion is if we need convenient and fast C-based exception
>handling, we can write our own setjmp/longjmp in assembly code.

I'd love this, except we're not guaranteeing that we need that level
of info about a platform. (Though it's really, really tempting...)
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk