On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 08:30:05AM +1000, Damian Conway wrote:
>       @arr[@arr.length] = $var;
>
> or maybe just :
>
>       @arr[.length] = $var;
>
> (if an array were to be made the topic inside its own accessor brackets).
I know this idea was just thrown in there, but I find that I really dislike
it.  I can see many more uses for the current topic than for array-as-topic
in index expressions.  I can easily envision instance methods wishing
to use instance variables as [part of] indices, for instance.

Having the subscript operator change the topic is, IMHO, a rather strong
violation of the principle of least surprise.

--
Mark REED                    | CNN Internet Technology
1 CNN Center Rm SW0831G      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]