In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        Mike Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyways, cd to languages/BASIC, run basic.pl, type "LOAD wumpus", and
> watch it die on "Not a string!". It could be that basic is using keys in
> weird ways, or it could be that the key patch is borked...I haven't looked
> into it enough to determine the true cause here.

The problem is that it is trying to index a hash using a number and
that is no longer allowed.

At some point it is going to be allowed again, but it won't do what
the code there wants it to do - it won't stringify the number and then
use that as a key.

What it will do is some sort of back door reference directly to an
entry in the hash table without going through a hash lookup. Dan has
said that this is needed for efficient access to scratchpads or
something although I'm not quite sure how it is supposed to work
given that the hash may decide to rearrange itself if it gets too
full.

What the BASIC interpreter probably needs to do is stringify those
keys itself before trying to look them up.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.compton.nu