On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:26:58PM +0200, Peter Gibbs wrote:
> Graham Barr wrote:
>
> > As well as supporting big/little endian specifically, should we support
> "native"
> > ie packed in the same endian as the machine the code is being run on.
>
> Certainly. I think we would want also want native sizes, so we can
> ask for short, int, long etc and get the platform's size and byteorder.
> If the concept gets accepted, then we can start extending.

I think we also want unsigned (ie zero extension of values shorter than intval
whereas the supplied code does sign extension of values shorter than intval)

I'd quite like to see 2 bits as well as 1 (binary) and 4 (hex), but I'm
not sure how useful they'd be in the general case, versus an op to unpack
arbitrary bit lengths, but these are really more use for a function that
unpacks to an array rather than 1 value.

Nicholas Clark
--
Even better than the real thing:        http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/