Aaron Sherman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I'm thinking XS thoughts because we're going to need a few external
> things at SOME point.... It would be so nice if Perl 6's XS
> was part of the language, rather than an external pre-processor.
> [ some interesting stuff]
> Thoughts?

Its good to start thinking about this early; but should we be thinking
"Parrot's" XS; not "Perl 6's"?

Parrot has to solve the problem of binding multiple languages together
within a unified framework: Ruby calls a python method, passing a
Perl object as a parameter. I would hope that the solution to that
challenge will be sufficiently powerful to solve the problem of
describing/generating an interface to C, C++, Java, Eiffel, and
INTERCAL.

Given that parrot will solve it in a language-neutral way, I am
not sure that we should focus an a Perl6 XS, "rather than an
external pre-processor". We may want a Perl6 module that hides
the complexity of the Parrot stuff; but that depends on how complex
the Parrot stuff turns out to be.

Dave.