Erik Lechak:
# And in my tinkering around, I compile a lot.  I have also added this
# handy little perl script that helps.
#
# I only know that it works on win32 (XP).  I could get it working on
# linux if anyone is interested.
#
# Extensions are in win32 speak.  But it uses Config.pm so it should be
# somewhat easy to make work for linux if it already does not.
# Here is a
# summary of what it does.

Sweet!  Thanks.  This could be very useful if we can set it up to work
on Unices.

# I think I know the answer, but is there a reason why in
# Config.pm  'so'
# maps to '.dll' and 'ar' only maps to 'lib' with no dot?  Does
# it have to
# do with 'hello.lib' for windows and 'libhello.a' for linux?

$(AR) is the program you invoke to create a library, IIRC.

        C:\Brent\Visual Studio Projects\Perl 6\parrot\parrot>lib -?
        Microsoft (R) Library Manager Version 7.00.9466

        usage: LIB [options] [files]

              /DEF[:filename]
              /EXPORT:symbol
              /EXTRACT:membername
              /INCLUDE:symbol
              /LIBPATH:dir
              /LIST[:filename]

/MACHINE:{AM33|ARM|IA64|M32R|MIPS|MIPS16|MIPSFPU|MIPSFPU16|MIPSR41XX|
                        PPC|PPCFP|SH3|SH3DSP|SH4|SH5|THUMB|TRICORE|X86}
        /NAME:filename
              /NODEFAULTLIB[:library]
              /NOLOGO
              /OUT:filename
              /REMOVE:membername

/SUBSYSTEM:{CONSOLE|EFI_APPLICATION|EFI_BOOT_SERVICE_DRIVER|

EFI_ROM|EFI_RUNTIME_DRIVER|NATIVE|POSIX|WINDOWS|
                          WINDOWSCE}[,#[.##]]
              /VERBOSE

--Brent Dax <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
@roles=map {"Parrot $_"} qw(embedding regexen Configure)

Wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in
New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. And radio operates
exactly the same way. The only difference is that there is no cat.
    --Albert Einstein (explaining radio)